The asphalt shingles may be the most noticeable part of your roofing system, but there’s still a layer of components just underneath them. They don’t take the brunt of weather damage the way shingles do, sure, but this doesn’t make them any less important. One of these crucial roof components is the decking, or “sheathing”, which is located right between the structural trusses and your roofing shingles. In fact, the decking forms the connecting layer between the two, and is the material that anchors the shingles and the nails keeping them in place.
While the decking is not directly exposed to weather, it can still take damage that can compromise its integrity. And odd as it may sound, it’s not exactly a good idea to have the roof deck repaired once it is damaged. The premier residential roofing and seamless gutters company, Deschutes Roofing, discuss more of what you need to know here.
What Causes Damage to Your Roof Decking?
Water is your roof decking’s biggest enemy. When water finds its way into the roof decking, the likelihood of rot significantly increases. That’s because roof deck panels are usually made of wood or wood composites. Once rot enters the picture, the integrity of the decking becomes weakened. This, in turn, can compromise the entire roof structure when not dealt with quickly.
But how exactly does water seep into your roof? Old and damaged shingles are one reason, overflowing gutters is another. When the flashing around chimneys, dormers, vent pipes, and skylights become damaged, water infiltration becomes more likely since these are some of the most leak-prone areas in your roof. Having your system inspected regularly–especially following a storm–and going for prompt roofing repairs can help prevent water from reaching the decking.
And When the Roof Deck Does Sustain Moisture Damage?
It can be difficult to determine whether the roof deck has sustained damage since the telltale signs may not be visible until later. You will definitely know, however, once you notice that:
- Your roof has leaks.
- There are wet spots on the ceiling.
- Water stains and streaks have formed on interior walls.
- Your attic has mold and mildew.
- There are holes in the roof.
- The ceiling or roofline is sagging.
What You Should Do about Roof Deck Damage
Having your roof deck repaired is a no-go. For one thing, rot is difficult to get rid of. Even if the affected deck panels are fixed, there’s still no guarantee that rot won’t develop again. This is especially true when the reason for the moisture damage in the first place is aging and damaged roof shingles. It just makes sense to have the roof deck replaced, along with your shingles, instead. You should consult a trusted local roofing repair and replacement contractor like Deschutes Roofing for this. You’ll want to choose a roof deck material that is tough and waterproof. We can help you explore your available options, and decide on the one that best suits your needs.
Once you’ve made your choice, the next step is to decide on roof deck protection. This helps eliminate the potential of water damage, keeping this crucial component safe and intact. Because Deschutes Roofing is a GAF® Master Elite® roofer, we can provide you only with the best options. These include GAF® DECK-ARMOR™ roof deck protection, a UV-stabilized polypropylene underlayment that heads off water infiltration caused by wind-driven rain. DECK-ARMOR is not only durable, but it’s also impervious to moisture. Thanks to its flexibility, it can prevent shingle buckling and wrinkling that can negatively affect your roof’s appearance. Additionally, it has a slip-resistant surface that enhances the roof’s walkability, even if the system has a steep pitch.
Working with Deschutes Roofing
You probably already know that roof installation is not something that anyone can DIY. Without the necessary training and experience, the project is at risk of costly mistakes. Not only that–the homeowner’s safety may be compromised, as well. The better and wiser idea is to work with a professional who can deliver exceptional results.
For many homeowners in and around Central Oregon and Southern Washington, the name to call is Deschutes Roofing, the trusted expert for both roofing and seamless gutter installation. When you choose us for the job, you can expect:
- Greater Customer Protection. Deschutes Roofing has all the applicable licenses, bonds, and insurance (including workers’ compensation and liability coverage) that make us eligible to perform roofing work in this area. You’ll have better peace of mind knowing you’ll be working with a qualified roofer who’s the best match for your needs.
- Access to High-Quality Materials. We want to offer you the highest quality, most advanced options for your roofing project. That’s why we’ve earned certifications from North America’s top roofing manufacturers. Deschutes Roofing, in fact, is a GAF® Master Elite® Roofing Contractor, a Malarkey® Emerald Pro Contractor, and an Owens Corning® Preferred Contractor. This means access to top-tier materials that are designed for excellent and long-lasting weather performance, along with the solid warranty coverage included with them.
- Superior Workmanship. We deliver full customer satisfaction through excellent workmanship backed by decades of combined industry experience. This means no mistakes or costly callbacks that can cause delays on your roofing project. Our trained and experienced team also observes all the necessary precautions to ensure the job is completed safely and efficiently.
- Proven Reliable. If you’re curious about the quality of our roofing or seamless gutter installation, you only need to check the 5-star reviews we’ve earned from our pleased clients. Our A+ Rating with the Better Business Bureau® and Top Rated status with HomeAdvisor is also a testament to our commitment to providing only the highest standard of customer service to the Central Oregon communities we serve.
- Customer-Centric Approach. Deschutes Roofing wants your roofing experience to be smooth and stress-free. One of the ways we make this possible is through our New Roof No Mess® guarantee. Instead of depending solely on tarps and plywood to protect your property against mess and debris, we use the Equipter RB4000 mobile dumpster. It can catch any mess before it hits the ground and it’s compact enough for easy maneuvering around your property. What’s more, it is gentle on your lawn.
Whether you need a quality shingle roof replacement or a seamless gutters installation in Central Oregon, look no further than Deschutes Roofing.
When you choose us to handle your project, we’ll make sure it runs smoothly from start to finish. We aim to make your experience a positive and enjoyable one, after all. Call us today at (541) 241-5720 (Bend, OR) or (503) 967-9590 (Portland, OR). You can also fill out this contact form to schedule your roof evaluation. We’d love to hear from you!